« Home | Team Update » | Breaking 10,000 » | Help Thread » | Team number 49131 » | MVRWC Folding@home » 

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 

Feh


I thought I was doing so well.

At least I have the excuse that I'm only running it on one CPU, unlike a certain geeky someone who probably has a room filled with computers. (ducking)


In my defense, I had to make it stop processing while I'm doing other stuff because it was hogging all the system resources, and I always have a bunch of other stuff going on.

Somebody help me! Join the team--if anyone's reading this! OK, so you're not really helping ME; you'll be helping something much more important.
What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

If you ask me, that's beats the hell out of SETI looking for extraterrestrial life--which is cool, but this has much greater benefits, if you ask me.

About The Team

  • Team #49131
  • Current Rank 5030 of 44539
  • Grand Score 27980
  • Work Unit Count 151
  • Active CPUs within 50 days 4
  • (As of July 7, 2006)
Site Feed
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates